Applegreen is a major brand in the forecourt and retail sector in the UK, Ireland and more recently expanding into the US. With revenues of over £1bn they have expanded their current 200 store locations by 25% over the past 18 months and are targeting 500 international locations within 3 years. They work in an extremely competitive sector and move quickly to acquire and open new sites.
Several factors, including a recent IPO, 25% growth in store numbers, their stated expansion plans and ageing legacy systems led the organisation to source a new Store Management Suite incorporating an electronic point of sale solution.
A key requirement of the system was to facilitate the aggressive addition of stores to their business with no reduction in performance of both front and back office processing and reporting.
Many of the stores are franchises and on-time month end reporting is critical as well as the new requirement to keep the markets and shareholders informed.
The client wanted an Enterprise Grade, Highly Scalable and Available solution to facilitate their growth and expansion plans, strategic to the business.
Auxilion worked with the client to scope and deploy Microsoft Azure to met all of the customers’ criteria.
Working closely with the client’s software vendor, Auxilion designed a solution to take full advantage of the Azure platform. Initially, utilising the amazing ease of scalability of Azure, allowed thorough stress testing to validate the vendor’s application scalability claims.
The team then made use of Azure ADFS Services, Azure Load Balancers, Azure SQL Services and Availability Sets to provide the business with improved resiliency and remove single points of failure. They also worked with the client to implement Azure backup services and move away from their legacy backup solution.
The solution also uses a blend of premium and standard storage types and a variety of machine instance types to ensure the most cost effective solution was delivered to the client.
The entire solution provides the client with the ability to scale as their business expands and increasing the required horsepower via higher spec instances.
The customer now has total confidence that their solution will scale to meet even the most aggressive business expansion goals.
As well as this peace of mind the customer also realises several more benefits from using Azure:
- They only pay for what they consume and can scale in small increments as they grow.
- Their costs are all Opex. No big capital expense was required to build an environment they will not fully utilise for years. This frees up more capital for their expansion plans.
- The environment is Highly Available eliminating costly down time.
- Using Cloud Back Up has seen further significant savings in IT spend and brings data resilience.
- Auxilion are providing 24/7 support for the entire environment from our ISO20000 Service Operations Centres ensuring they stay open for business.
- Using Azure means no more costly and time consuming upgrades in the future for the environment.